Smoked Gouda Orzo Risotto
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 sprig rosemary
3 sage leaves
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 cups orzo
1/2 cup dry white wine
5-6 cups warmed chicken stock
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup grated smoked gouda
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
sage leaves, torn
- Using kitchen twine, tie the rosemary and 3 sage leaves together.
- Heat the olive oil, onion, garlic and herb bundle in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Cook until the onion is softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the orzo to the pan, and stir to coat with the oil. Let it warm for 1-2 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Add the white wine and bring to a boil. With a wooden spoon, scrape up any onion or orzo that has stuck to the pan.
- Once the wine has been absorbed by the orzo, add 3/4 cup of chicken stock. Stirring constantly. Once the liquid is absorbed, add another 3/4 cup of stock. Continue this process of adding stock and stirring until the orzo is cooked. This will take about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter. Stir into the mixture until it is melted.
- Finally add the cheeses and salt. Serve warm topped with torn sage leaves.