Browned Butter Pumpkin Apple Bread
2 cups unbleached all-purpose butter
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground all spice
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, plus more for coating baking pan
1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups apple, finely diced
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, kosher salt, all spice and baking soda into a bowl. Set aside.
- Coat the inside of a bread pan with unsalted butter. Set aside.
- In four small batches, brown the butter. To brown butter, use a large skillet, and heat the butter over medium heat. Cook until the butter is golden brown. Pour the browned butter into a small bowl and continue this process until the 1 1/2 sticks of butter are browned. Let the butter cool slightly.
- With a mixer, cream the pureed pumpkin and sugar for 4 minutes.
- With the mixer still running, add the butter, vanilla and eggs to the pumpkin mixture.
- In small batches, add the dry ingredients. Continue to mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Turn off the mixture and add the apples. Stir well.
- Pour the batter into the buttered bread pan. Place in the oven and cook for 75-85 minutes (or until the bread is cooked all the way through). If the top of the bread begins to look too brown, place a piece of foil on top of it. I usually do this about 50 minutes into the baking process.
- Serve warm with butter.