Hearts turned from weariness to joy.
The best quality you can provide varies for each family and this is okay. For us it’s homemade.Don’t get me wrong, I do buy boxed cookies and divvy out with joy, but when I can give my children homemade baked goods it’s an even bigger sugar rush.
One of my favorite and easiest cookie recipes involves only five ingredients and about 15 minutes of my time. Plus, the dough is freezer friendly and is likened to the slice-and-bake variety that is oh so fun.Shortbread cookies.
Gently cream sugar and room temperature butter. Add flour, salt and vanilla extract. Separate into two dough balls and place onto parchment. Roll into a cylinder and freeze for 30 minutes.
This cookie is a shortbread cookie. Simple, delicious and full of eating options.Crumble and add it to homemade ice cream. Or smear ice cream between two cookies and, viola, an ice cream sandwich. Cookies. Mountain movers, joy givers— lovingly made by you.
Shortbread Cookies with Cherry Buttercream Frosting
3/4 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
cherry butter cream frosting, optional (see recipes below)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on low until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour, salt and vanilla extract. Continue to mix until just incorporated, about 30-40 seconds.
- Turn off the mixer and form two dough balls.
- Rolls the dough into parchment paper or plastic wrap, forming a cylinder.
- Place in the freezer and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and slice the cookies about ¼ inch thick. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 2 hours.
- Once the cookies are room temperature. Add the cherry butter cream frosting on top of the cookies.
for the cherry buttercream frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoon cherry jam (see recipe below)
- With an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar. Slowly add the remaining ingredients until fully incorporated.
for the cherry jam
3 pounds fresh cherries, pitted
pinch of kosher salt
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cinnamon stick
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Stir and cover. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid, stir the mixture and increase the heat to medium or medium-high. Cook for 35-45 minutes (the cherries should maintain a steady boil). Stir frequently to prevent burning. When the mixture is reduced, thickened and coats the back of a spoon it is finished cooking.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Store in the fridge.