2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 sprigs fresh sage
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
6 cups cornbread, cut into bite sized pieces
3 cups white bread, crust removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup half and half
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves chopped
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Tie the sage, rosemary and thyme sprigs with kitchen twine.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium sized skillet. Once melted add the bundle of herbs, onions, celery and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Place the cornbread and white bread pieces onto a rimmed baking sheet and spread out evenly. Place into the oven and toast the bread for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and place in a baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the eggs, chopped herbs, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, chicken stock, buttermilk and cream. Set aside.
- Remove the herb bundle from the cooked vegetables. Evenly pour the vegetable mixture over the toasted bread.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the bread and vegetables. Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the bread is golden and the eggs cooked through.
- Serve warm and salt to taste.