Hot Chocolate with Vanilla Marshmallows
chocolate syrup (see below or click here for recipe)
pinch of kosher salt
homemade marshmallows (see below or click here for recipe)
- Place the whole milk and chocolate syrup into a saucepan. Stir well to combine.
- Warm over low heat until syrup is incorporated with chocolate. Add a pinch of salt and stir.
- Serve warm with homemade marshmallows
for chocolate syrup
1 cup cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 cup water
- Place the sugar and water into a small saucepan, and make a simple syrup. Cook on low heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Combine the vanilla and salt into the simple syrup. Stir well.
- Place the cocoa powder into a large bowl. In three batches, whisk the simple syrup into the cocoa powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Strain the cocoa mixture back into the pan. Add corn syrup and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from the stovetop and bring to room temperature. Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge, up to three weeks.
for the vanilla marshmallows
Author note: Store the marshmallows in an air tight container for up to three weeks. A candy thermometer is required for this recipe. Also, a hand held mixer would work for this recipe, however a stand mixer makes it easier.
3/4 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar
pinch of kosher salt
1 cup and 2 tablespoons of ice cold water
3 packages plain gelatin
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
cooking spray (canola or vegetable oil)
- In a large mixing bowl add 1/2 cup water. Sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the water. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of water to any dry spots of gelatin. Dissolve the gelatin for 10 minutes.
- Add the corn syrup, sugar, salt and 1/2 cup of water into a small saucepan. Attach the thermometer to the side of the pan. Cook the mixture over high heat until it reaches 250 degrees F.
- Turn the mixer on to slow speed. Slowly pour the corn syrup mixture down the side of the bowl while the mixer is running. Once the entire mixture is poured into the bowl whisk on high speed for 12 minutes.
- With one minute remaining add in the vanilla extract. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Meanwhile, combine the powdered sugar and corn starch into a medium sized bowl, stir well. Set aside.
- Spray the inside of a 13×9 baking pan with canola oil. With a sifter, then add an even layer of powdered sugar inside of the pan.
- Evenly pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan. Smooth out the top of the marshmallows with a lightly oiled spatula.
- Spray the top of the marshmallows with canola oil and add another even layer of sifted powdered sugar mixture. Keep the remaining powdered sugar mixture for later use.
- Let the marshmallows set for 5-8 hours.
To cut the marshmallows:
- Spray a spatula with canola spray. Move the spatula around the edges and bottom of the marshmallow to loosen it from the pan.
- Place the marshmallow onto a cutting board lightly covered with powdered sugar.
- Using a lightly oiled pizza cutter or knife, cut the marshmallows into 1 inch squares.
- Once the marshmallows are cut, place a few batches of marshmallows at a time into the powdered sugar mixture. Coat the marshmallows on every side. Store in an airtight container.