Jalapeno and Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, halved then thinly sliced
7 jalapenos, seeded and diced (set aside the stems to be used)
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
8 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup half and half
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup sour cream
- In a small saucepan warm the half and half, butter, garlic and jalapeno stems over low heat. Heat through for 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the olive oil into a medium sized skillet. Add one layer of onions and season evenly with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Add another layer of onions and season evenly with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook on medium-low heat for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the jalapenos and stir well. Cook for an additional 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile bring a large pan of water to boil and add the potatoes. Cook until tender. Strain the water.
- Place the potatoes onto the stovetop. With a potato masher, mash the potatoes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and stir.
- Strain the half and half and butter mixture into the mashed potatoes. Stir well and continue to mash out any chunks of boiled potatoes.
- Add the jalapeno onion mixture and sour cream to the mashed potatoes. Stir well until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Salt to taste and serve warm.