Broiled Hatch Green Chiles
- Hatch green chiles
- Heat the broiler to 500 degrees.
- Wash and dry the chiles.
- Place the chiles on a foil lined baking sheet on the top rack. Broil for 6 minutes.
- Once blackened and blistered, flip the chiles over and continue to broil for an additional 5 minutes. If not blistered enough, broil for an addition 1 minute.
- Once the chiles are well blistered (the chiles need to be blistered all over, this helps to loosen the skin) place in a airtight container (or zip-close bag) and let cool for about 15 minutes. This process captures steam and continues to loosen the skin from the meat.
- Once cool to the touch, remove the chiles from the container and peel off the skin, cut off the stem and remove the seeds.
- Place the chiles in an airtight container and place in the fridge to use throughout the week.
Freezing Hatch Green Chiles
- Once the skin, stem and seeds have been removed, let the chiles come to room temperature.
- Place the chiles into a freezer safe bag and remove as much air from the bag as you can before sealing. Lay flat in the freezer.
Hatch green chiles appear in August. It is easy to preserve Hatch green chile season through freezing. Come January when you crave the unmistakable Hatch flavor, forage in the freezer, thaw and enjoy.