- 3 pounds fresh cherries, pitted
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Stir and cover. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid, stir the mixture and increase the heat to medium or medium-high. Cook for 35-45 minutes (the cherries should maintain a steady boil). Stir frequently to prevent burning. When the mixture is reduced, thickened and coats the back of a spoon it is finished cooking.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Store in the fridge.
This recipe is easily halved. If cherries are not in season, frozen cherries also work, but require a bit more simmering time. Serve on your favorite biscuits, vanilla ice cream or PB&J sandwich.