Instant Pot Lemon Cheesecake with Rose Meringue
for the crust
- 2 cups vanilla waffles
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 stick, or slightly less unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
for the cheesecake
- 16 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 yolks, room temperature (save the whites for the rose water meringue)
- 4 tablespoons half and half, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Fiori Di Sicilia
for the meringue
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon rose water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the crust
- Butter the sides of an 8 inch Instant Pot cake pan. Add a parchment to the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Place the wafers, lemon zest, sugar and salt into a food processor and purée until the wafers are turned into a bread crumb consistency.
- While the processor is running, add the butter in a steady stream (the amount used will vary depending on the type of vanilla wafer used).
- Remove the crust mixture and place into the pan. Evenly distribute the mixture on the bottom of the pan by pressing with fingertips.
- Place in the freezer for one hour.
for the cheesecake
- Pour two cups of water into the Instant Pot. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the eggs, yolk, lemon zest, half and half and fiora della sicilia
- With an electric mixer mix the cream cheese and sour cream on low for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and continue to mix on low for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add the egg mixture and lemon juice to the cream mixture. Mix until combined.
- Remove the crust from the freezer and add the cheesecake mixture into the cake pan, spreading it out evenly.
- Place the steam rack into the Instant Pot. Place the cake on top of the rack. Place the lid on the Instant Pot. Select the cake function and timer for 35 minutes.
- After the 35 minutes, turn off the Instant Pot and let the pressure release naturally for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the cheesecake from the Instant Pot and dab off any excess liquid from the top of cake (if applicable). Let the cake sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place in the fridge and let cool for at least 8 hours.
- Place rose water meringue cookies (recipe below) on top of the cake and serve.
for the rose water meringue cookies
- With an electric mixer, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar on high until stiff white peaks form, about 4-5 minutes.
- Quickly add the sugar, rose water and vanilla extract. Continue to whip until the white peaks form again.
- Turn the oven to 250 degrees.
- Using a piping bag, or a spoon, add one 1/2 inch circles to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and open the oven door slightly. Let the meringues rest for 30 minutes and then remove from the oven. Store in an airtight container.
If you cannot find King Aruthe’s Fiori de Sicilia (click here to find it on the Sur la Table website), a splash of vanilla extract and a splash of lemon extract will also work. You can also find this recipe on the Sur la Table website (click here to go to the Sur la Table recipe).