Jalapeno and Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, halved then thinly sliced
- 7 jalapenos, seeded and diced (set aside the stems to be used)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 8 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup half and half
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a small saucepan warm the half and half, butter, garlic and jalapeno stems over low heat. Heat through for 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the olive oil into a medium sized skillet. Add one layer of onions and season evenly with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Add another layer of onions and season evenly with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook on medium-low heat for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the jalapenos and stir well. Cook for an additional 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile bring a large pan of water to boil and add the potatoes. Cook until tender. Strain the water.
- Place the potatoes onto the stovetop. With a potato masher, mash the potatoes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and stir.
- Strain the half and half and butter mixture into the mashed potatoes. Stir well and continue to mash out any chunks of boiled potatoes.
- Add the jalapeno onion mixture and sour cream to the mashed potatoes. Stir well until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Salt to taste and serve warm.
These potatoes can be made up to three days in advance. To reheat, add additional half and half while heating on the stovetop, microwave or oven.