- 1 1/2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- corn or flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- canned refried beans
- avocado dip (see below for recipe link), for topping
- butter lettuce, chopped, for topping
- cilantro, chopped, for topping
- lime wedges, for topping
- Mexican cream, for topping
- queso fresca, for topping
- In a large bowl add the dijon, mayonnaise, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin. Mix well. Add the shrimp and stir well to coat. Cover and place in the fridge up to eight hours before cook time.
- Place 1/4 cup canola oil into a medium-sized skillet. Bring to 350 degrees over medium heat. Use a thermometer to accurately measure the temperature of the oil. When the oil has reached the appropriate temperature, place one to two tortillas into the oil. Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Flip and repeat on the other side of the tortilla.
- Place the crisp and golden tortillas onto a paper towel-lined plate. Continue until all tortillas are fried.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons of canola oil into a skillet and cook over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp into the skillet and cook for about 4-6 minutes, flipping once, until the shrimp is cooked all the way through.
- On the fried tortilla add a layer of beans and avocado crema. Top with shrimp and then your favorite toppings. Serve immediately.
The marinade used for the shrimp also works well with chicken. Use caution when frying with oil. Use a thermometer to make sure the temperature of the oil is not too hot. The amount of tortillas used is dependent upon how many people you plan to feed. For the Avocado Dip, click here.