Slow Cooker OR Pressure Cooker Collard Greens
Frozen collards also work for this recipe (and significantly decrease prep time), however increase the cook time on the pressure cooker method to 30 minutes when using frozen collard greens. Use salt sparingly and the amount used, let it be determined by the Cajun seasoning used. If in doubt, salt at the end.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, hot or mild
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 pounds collard greens, ribs removed and cut
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons “Slap Yo Mama” Seasoning, or your favorite Cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
for the pressure-cooked collards
- Place the oil, sausage, onions, garlic and salt into the pressure cooker. Using the sauté feature on the electric pressure cooker, sauté for 5-8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the collard greens, chicken stock, sugar, garlic powder, seasoning and apple cider vinegar. Secure the lid and cook on high-pressure for 25 minutes (or 30 minutes for frozen collards). After 25 minutes turn off the pressure cooker and quick release the pressure. Serve warm.
for the slow cooker collards
- Place the oil, onions, 2 teaspoon salt and sausage into a skillet. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked and the onions softened.
- Place the remaining ingredients into the slow cooker. Add with the sausage mixture and stir until combined. Cook on low for 9 hours or on high for 5 hours. Serve warm.