Broiled Asparagus with Pickled Red Onions and Soft-Boiled Eggs
- 2 bundles asparagus, thick bottom stalk removed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5-6 eggs
- pickled red onions, see recipe below
- Dijon mustard
- Manchego or gruyere cheese, cut into strips
- French baguette, sliced and toasted
Pickled Red Onions
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red onions, halved and sliced
- Heat the broiler to 550 degrees.
- Place the asparagus on a foil lined sheet pan. Pour the olive oil and the salt on top of the asparagus. Using tongs, turn the asparagus to coat.
- Place the asparagus into the oven and broil, 6-10 minutes. Remove when asparagus have reached the desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to boil. Place the eggs into the boiling water and boil for 9 minutes. Immediately remove the eggs and place into an ice bath. Cool for 4 minutes. Peel the eggs and slice in half.
- Place the asparagus and boiled eggs onto a platter. Serve with pickled red onions, manchego or gruyere cheese, Dijon and crusty bread.
Picked Red Onions
- Combine the vinegar, water, salt and sugar into a small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until the salt and sugar has dissolved.
- Place the red pepper flakes, garlic cloves and red onions into a large canning jar. Pour the vinegar mixture over the onions and bring to room temperature. Seal with a lid and store in the fridge.
Be sure to make the pickled red onions the day before.