Hatch Green Chile-Lime Sherbet
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 2 Hatch green chiles, seeded
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, strained
- pinch of salt
- Place the milk, cream and Hatch chiles into a saucepan. Cook over medium low heat for 20 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the chiles steep for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chiles and place the cream into a blender along with the sugar, agave, lime juice and salt. Blend until fully incorporated.
- Pour the sherbet mixture into a glass container. Place into the fridge and let chill for 4-6 hours or until it reaches 40 degrees F.
- Place into an ice cream maker and process until it has reached a soft serve consistency. Pour into a container and place into the freezer until firm.
Don’t fret it you can’t find Hatch Green Chiles. These peppers are seasonal and regional produce. They can be found in late summer, early fall in New Mexico and its surrounding areas. Anaheim or poblano peppers can be used to substitute the Hatch chile in this recipe.