Air Fryer Taquitos
The amount of salt used for the filling will be determined by the seasoning of the meat or veggies used in the taquito. Once the filling has been combined, taste and season to preference. For taquitos, I like to use leftover meat or veggies. From roasted chicken, smoked pork and roasted squash; these taquitos are easy to fill! The taquitos will have to be air fried in batches depending upon the size of the air fryer used. The procedure to secure the taquitos will create a taquito with about 5 to 6 taquitos secure on two wooden skewers. This will allow you to flip the taquitos simultaneously. If you don’t have an air fryer, follow the directions below, but to cook, fry in a skillet filled with a half inch of vegetable oil, or place in a hot oven and bake until crispy.
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces canned chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, optional
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked meat or chopped roasted vegetables
- juice of 1 lime
- 14 to 18 small tortillas
- wooden skewers
- canola oil
- chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
- salsa, for dipping
- sour cream, for dipping
- guacamole, for dipping
- In a bowl, combine the sour cream, chiles, onions, cheese, cayenne, garlic, cumin and salt. Stir well. Add the meat (or veggies) of choice and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Place a spoonful of the mixture in a thin line on one end of the tortilla. Starting with the end where the mixture was placed, roll the tortilla tightly. Secure the taquito by piercing the tortilla seam with two wooden skewers. Make sure the two skewers are placed about halfway between the middle and each end of the tortilla. Push the taquito to the bottom of the two skewers, leaving about an inch of space to grab the skewers. Continue this process until 6 to 7 taquitos are securely arranged on the wooden skewers, creating a taquito.
- Brush one side of the taquito with canola oil. Place the taquitos into an air fryer and air fry at 400 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes. Flip the taquitos and brush the remaining side of taquitos with canola oil. Cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove and top with fresh cilantro. Serve with your favorite Tex-Mex dipping condiments, like salsa, sour cream and guacamole.