Asparagus and Bell Pepper Couscous Salad
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch of asparagus, woody end removed, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup uncooked Pearl Couscous
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a skillet and warm over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the bell pepper. Continue to cook for an additional 4 minutes (or until the asparagus is tender, but not soft). Remove from the heat and cool.
- Meanwhile, warm a saucepan of 1 1/2 cups of water over high heat. Bring to a boil. Add the 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt to the water and the couscous. Bring to a simmer and cover. Once cooked (about 10-12 minutes) stir in the red wine vinegar.
- Pour the couscous onto a sheet pan. Let the couscous cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Combine the couscous and the vegetables. Place into the fridge and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Before service, add the goat cheese, red pepper flakes and basil into the bowl. Toss to combine and serve chilled. Add additional basil, goat cheese and salt to taste.
The cook time for the asparagus will vary depending on its size.