Baked Cucumbers in Garlic Cream
This recipe is inspired by Julia Child’s Baked Cucumbers. It’s a beautiful way to cook and eat cucumbers. If you do not like dill, chopped parsley or basil will also work in this dish. The cucumbers do not have to be in an even layer when they bake, they can be piled within the baking dish.
- 1 1/2 to 2- lbs Persian Cucumbers, peeled
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tbsp plus 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, divided
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- fresh dill, chopped
- Half the cucumbers lengthwise. Then cut each slice in half. In a large bowl, add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Stir to combine. Add the cucumbers and stir to coat. Set aside for thirty minutes.
- When ready to cook, heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a baking dish, add the butter, garlic, cream, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Place into the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- While the cream and butter are cooking, using a slotted spoon, remove the cucumbers from the bowl and pat dry. Remove the cream from the oven and place the cucumbers and vinegar into the dish. Stir to coat the cucumbers. Place in the oven and bake until softened but still has a bit of crunch, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add fresh chopped dill. Stir to combine and serve warm. Salt and pepper to taste.