Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
The quirky part to this recipe is that 20 cloves of garlic are peeled and the other 20 are unpeeled. This allows the diners who prefer a steamed packet of garlic to enjoy its garlic puree texture, while not being bothered with the sticky mess that occurs when squeezing out the steamed garlic cloves. Feel free to use all 40 peeled or unpeeled, it is up to you. This recipe is inspired by Richard Olney’s Garlic Chicken.
- 6 to 8 chicken thighs
- 20 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 20 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 bundle of sage, thyme and rosemary tied together
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large casserole pan, combine the chicken, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Using your hands, thoroughly coat the chicken and garlic with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Make sure the chicken is placed skin-side up. Nestle the herb bundle between and under the chicken thighs.
- Cover the casserole pan with foil and place into the oven. Cook for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve with toasted baguette slices and gruyere.