Chocolate-Caramel Ice Box Cake
Have fun with this cake! The toppings can vary depending upon what is available in your pantry or what sounds good. Sprinkles, chopped nuts or crumbled chocolate wafers would also be a fun addition. The cake needs to be eaten within 8 hours. If it sits in the fridge longer than that, it beings to get mushy.
- 2 packages of chocolate wafers
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 8 ounces crème fraiche
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp sugar
- caramel sauce, to taste
- chocolate chips, for topping
- Cut two long pieces of plastic wrap. Line a loaf pan, by laying one long piece of plastic wrap vertically and a second long piece of plastic wrap horizontally. Set aside
- Combine the whipping cream, crème fraiche, vanilla and sugar into a mixing bowl. Whip with an electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Add one layer of chocolate wafers to the bottom of the loaf pan. Top with whipped cream and a hefty drizzle of caramel sauce. Repeat these steps until the loaf pan is full. The last layer should be whipped cream.
- Cover the top of the cake with the plastic wrap that is hanging over the edges of the pan. Place into the fridge for at least 6 hours, up to 8. Place the remaining whipped cream in the fridge to be used later.
- Before service, remove the cake from the fridge. Top with the remaining whipped cream and chocolate chips. Place into the freezer and let set for 15 minutes. Slice and serve immediately.