Crab and Shrimp Coconut Bisque
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf, torn in half
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 13.5-ounce can of coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 lb peeled and deveined shrimp, cut into thirds
- 1/2 lb lump crab meat
- In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and bay leaves. Cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add the flour and stir to combine. Continue to cook over medium heat for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Slowly stir in the chicken stock, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer , partially covered, for 15 minutes or until the soup is thickened.
- Add the sherry, coconut milk, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning and salt. Heat through for 5 minutes. simmer, add the shrimp. Heat through until the shrimp is cooked, about 5-6 minutes. Add the crab the last two minutes of cooking the shrimp, breaking up any lumps.
- Ladle into warm bowls and serve with crusty bread.
Each Cajun seasoning is a bit different, especially when it comes to salt content. The Cajun seasoning that I use does well with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, but yours may not. Add the salt at the end and then adjust according to taste.