Croissant and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Ground mustard has a tendency to clump. When adding the mustard to the eggs, evenly sprinkle it on top of the eggs and let sit for a minute or two to dissolve before whisking. Whisk thoroughly to break up any remaining clumps.
- 6 to 8 croissants, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 8 frozen sausage patties
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 10 eggs
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups grated gouda
- fresh pepper, to top
- freshly chopped basil, optional
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Remove sausage from freezer and place onto a cutting board. Let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes, or until softened enough to cut through.
- While the sausage is coming to room temperature, place the eggs, mustard and salt into a large bowl. Whisk until well-combined. Add the half and half and continue to whisk until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Cut the softened frozen sausage into bite-sized pieces. Place croissant pieces, onions and diced sausage into a large, greased baking dish. Evenly distribute parmesan cheese over the bread mixture.
- Whisk eggs to combine again and pour over the bread mixture. Using your hands or a spatula, press down on the bread mixture to condense. Top with gouda and fresh pepper to taste. Place into the oven and bake until set, about 45 minutes. Check the casserole after 30 minutes. If the croissants begin to burn, cover with foil to prevent burning.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Top with fresh basil and serve warm.