Grilled Shrimp and Asparagus Kebabs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds shrimp, deshelled
- 1-2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
- 1 onion cut into bite sized pieces.
- Place the olive oil, oregano, thyme, cayenne, chili powder, cumin and kosher salt into a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add the shrimp and stir well to coat. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours, up to 8 hours before grilling.
- Heat the grill to 350 degrees.
- Cut the asparagus into large, bite-sized pieces. Set aside in a bowl.
- Remove the shrimp from the fridge.
- Using a skewer (wooden or metal) assemble the kebobs. I like a pattern of onion, two asparagus and one shrimp. I also prefer 3-4 shrimp on each skewer (if the shrimp are medium to large in size. I add more if the shrimp are smaller).
- Over direct heat, grill the shrimp 3 minutes per side, for a total of 6 minutes. Remove from the grill and serve immediately. Salt to taste.
These kebabs can be prepared a few hours before grilling. Place the assembled kebabs on a rimmed baking sheet, cover with foil and place in the fridge until ready to grill. These kebabs can be roasted in the oven as well. Heat the oven to 425 degrees and cook until the shrimp is cooked-thru.