Harissa-Coconut Milk Braised Chicken
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 13.6- ounce can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup harissa sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large sprig of basil leaves
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken tenders
- freshly chopped basil, for topping
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and crushed cloves of garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes. Once golden and fragrant, remove the garlic from the pan. Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and continue to cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the tomato paste and brown, about 2 to minutes, stirring occasionally. Deglaze the skillet with the water, scrapping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the coconut milk, harissa sauce, kosher salt and basil leaves. Bring to a simmer and add the chicken tenders to the mixture. Stir to coat the chicken and cook for 9 to 12 minutes, until the chicken is cooked all the way through, about 160 degrees F. Serve warm with jasmine rice and fresh basil leaves.