Lemon Garlic Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- zest of 3 lemons
- fresh lemon juice from 3 to 4 lemons
- 10 garlic cloves (6 crushed and 4 chopped)
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 30 minutes before cooking, season the chicken pieces with 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, lemon zest and juice of 1 lemon .
- When ready to cook, place 2 tablespoons of canola oil and 3 crushed garlic cloves into a non-stick skillet or wok. Cook over medium-high heat until the garlic cloves are golden. Remove the garlic cloves.
- Place the chicken into the skillet and sear until cooked, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside. This may have to be done in two batches depending upon how big your skillet (or wok) is.
- Add the additional 2 tablespoons of canola oil and 3 cloves of crushed garlic to the skillet. Cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Remove the garlic cloves. Add the cooked rice into the skillet and stir to coat the rice with the garlic oil.
- Add the remaining lemon juice from the 2 to 3 lemons and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the skillet. Fry the rice and continue to stir until the rice is coated with the lemon juice and is somewhat golden, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the cooked chicken with juices into the skillet. Stir until well combined and the chicken is warmed through.
- Place the rice into individual bowls. Top with chicken and a spritz of fresh lemon juice. Serve immediately.
It’s easy to add your favorite vegetable to this stir fry. Add the vegetables like snow peas or baby broccoli to the wok when you are sautéing the cooked rice.