Seafood Rice Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups okra, cut into slices
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 pound shrimp, halved
- 6 ounce cod filet
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large pan add the oil, onion and bell pepper and cook over medium heat until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add the rice and stir to combine. Cook the rice for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, cayenne, oregano and salt, chicken stock and okra. Bring to a simmer and cook until the rice and okra is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the coconut milk, shrimp and white fish. Bring to a simmer and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the fish and shrimp are cooked all the way through.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro. Salt to taste and serve warm.