Seafood Rice Stew
Okra is a delicious ingredient that can be added. However, not everyone enjoys the texture and taste of okra. To add okra to this stew, cook 1 1/2 cups of frozen okra in a pan of simmering water for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the okra is cooked to your desired consistency. Once the stew is cooked, top the individual bowls of stew with the cooked okra; be sure to use a slotted spoon to strain the liquid from the okra.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 pound shrimp, halved
- 6 ounce cod filet
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large pan add the oil, onion and bell pepper and cook over medium heat until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add the rice and stir to combine. Cook the rice for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, cayenne, oregano and salt, chicken stock and okra. Bring to a simmer and cook until the rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the coconut milk, shrimp and white fish. Bring to a simmer and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the fish and shrimp are cooked all the way through.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro. Salt to taste and serve warm.