There are many ways to describe Skillet Chicken and Gruyere “Biscuits” …and quick, simple and decadent seem to stand out the most!
While this recipe may not be the classic “Chicken and Biscuits” you may be thinking about, it is 100% worth your time—because it’s easier than that traditional “biscuit” business.
This one pan, skillet meal will be a bright light in your hectic week. Rotisserie chicken from Market Street is added to a creamy concoction of mushrooms and onions. While the classic chicken and biscuits would then call for a homemade drop biscuit to top this skillet meal, I’m asking you to add thick slices of Market Street’s freshly baked baguette (that are then topped with melted butter and Gruyere cheese)!
Want to make this meal even faster? Yes you do! Pop over to the refrigerator at Market Street’s produce department and grab the diced fresh onions and celery. By using these ingredients, 5 to 10 minutes will be shaved from the prep work!
You’ll want to add this fresh take on Chicken and Biscuits to your weekly meal rotation not just for the ease of construction but also on the few amounts of ingredients needed from Market Street to make it happen!
If you keep salt, butter, flour and lemons in your kitchen—this recipe only has 8 items you’ll need to grab during your weekly grocery trip. That’s a pretty minimal list of items to purchase for such a standout meal!
Skillet Chicken and Gruyere Biscuits is a food hug and one I can’t wait to make with you! Enjoy this comfort meal, that is perfect for weeknight or comfort.
Skillet Chicken and Gruyere “Biscuits”
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tbsp plus 1 tsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- French baguette, sliced and basted with melted unsalted butter
- grated gruyere, to top
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and add the celery, onions and mushrooms. Cook until softened, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the flour and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- In a medium sized bowl, thoroughly combine the half and half and egg yolks. Slowly stir in the half and half mixture into the skillet, making sure to stir the entire time and not allow the liquid to boil. Add the cloves, lemon juice and salt.
- Let the sauce warm thru and thicken, about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the chicken and top with the bread and gruyere. Place into the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the bread and cheese is golden. Serve immediately.