Umami Ground Beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Umami Seasoning
- 1 cup low-sodium beef stock
- In a skillet combine the canola oil, garlic and onion. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and add the ground beef, salt and umami seasoning. Cook until browned and slightly sticking to the skillet, about 6-8 minutes
- Reduce the heat to medium-high. Add the tomato paste and brown for 1-2 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Add the beef stock to the skillet and deglaze. Bring to a slight boil. Continue to cook until the liquid is reduced and absorbed by the beef, about 4-5 minutes. Stir frequently. Remove from the heat and use the umami ground beef in tacos, pastas or skillets.
This recipe is easily doubled. If you don’t have access to an Umami Seasoning blend—use 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme and 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard and a pinch of red pepper flakes. A few ideas on how to use the umami ground beef is below: street tacos- tortillas, avocado, cilantro and cheese, gnocchi- gnocchi, canned diced tomatoes (heated with salt), parmesan, fresh basil torn, skillet- scrambled eggs, cheese, chopped spinach, lemon juice, hot sauce