Warm Okra and Red Onion Salad
- 3/4 pounds okra, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, instructions below
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil into a large cast iron or non-stick pan. Cook the onions over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove the onions and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet increase temperature to medium-high. Once the pan is hot, add 1/2 of the okra and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Sauté for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove the okra and add to the onions.
- Add the second batch of okra to the pan (add a bit more coconut oil if the pan is dry). Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the onions and okra back into the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add the Worcestershire and vinegar to the pan. Cook on medium-high until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, basil, mint and toasted pine nuts. Stir well to combine. Salt to taste and serve immediately.
To toast the pine nuts: Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the pine nuts onto a rimmed baking sheet. Cook for 5-8 minutes, shaking every 2 minutes. Remove from the oven when golden.