Wedge Chop Chop Salad
Iceberg lettuce is the traditional lettuce used for the Wedge Salad. However, for nutritional purposes, I like to use romaine or butter lettuce. Choose the leafy green you prefer. If preparing the salad ahead of time, be sure the toppings of the salad are at the bottom of the bowl. Right before service, add the dressing and toss the salad. There are no measurements for this recipe’s ingredients. Choose the amount based off the number of people being served.
- cooked bacon, crumbled
- cherry tomatoes, quartered
- red onions, finely chopped
- chives, finely chopped
- iceberg lettuce, chopped into bite sized pieces
- Blue Cheese Dressing, see recipe below
- blue cheese crumbles, for topping
- In a mixing bowl, add the desired amount of bacon, tomatoes, red onions and chives. Add the lettuce on top of these ingredients. When ready to serve add the blue cheese dressing to the top of the lettuce. Thoroughly toss and top with blue cheese crumbles and additional chopped chives.
For the Blue Cheese Dressing
- Blue cheese will vary in saltiness depending upon the variety used. Salt after tasting. 4 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled1/3 cup mayonnaise1/3 cup sour cream1/2 cup buttermilk1 tbsp white wine vinegarpinch of red pepperblack pepper, to tastesalt, to tasteIn a small mixing bowl add the blue cheese, mayonnaise and sour cream. Mash with a fork or potato masher. Add the buttermilk, vinegar, red pepper and black pepper. Thoroughly mix, scraping the bottom of the bowl to remove any blue cheese that may be stuck to the bottom. Once mixed taste and add salt and seasoning. More vinegar and red pepper may be desired depending upon how tart and hot you prefer dressings. Cover and place into the fridge to chill. Stir thoroughly before adding to a salad.