Weekday Tomato Sauce
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons diced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or place in a food processor. If a chunky sauce is preferred, omit this step. Serve warm.
This sauce is finished in 30 minutes. Its origins are from Marcella Hazan’s tomato and butter sauce. It can be used in a variety of ways: pasta, sauteed vegetables, pizza, dipping sauce, etc. Also, this recipe is easily doubled or tripled if you are feeding a large crowd or plan to freeze a batch or two.