Spiced Apple Upside Down Cake
- unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 apples, sliced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- favorite yellow cake mix
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- powdered sugar, for topping
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the interior sides of a rectangular baking dish.
- Mix the cake batter according to the instructions, but also add the orange extract, allspice, cardamom, cloves, ginger and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Pour the butter on the bottom of a favorite cake pan (I used a 10×7). Evenly distribute the brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Lay the apple slices on top of the butter mixture. Pour the cake batter on top of the apples.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or according to the cake mix instructions for the size of the pan used.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a flat silicon spatula, gently remove the edges of the cake from the cake pan. Once the edges are separated, flip the cake onto a serving tray or dish. Serve warm.