Snickerdoodle Meringue Cookies
Author note: Cinnamon flavoring can be found at your local grocery or specialty kitchen store.
4 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon flavoring
Heat the oven to 275 degrees.
- With a stand mixer (or a handheld electric mixer) whip the egg whites and cream of tartar. Whip for 8 minutes, until the egg whites have become airy, white and fluffy.
- Quickly add the sugar and cinnamon flavor and continue to whip for an addition 1 to 2 minutes.
- Scoop 1 1/2 inch sized amounts of the egg white mixture onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes rotate the pan and bake for an additional 30 minutes, for a total of 60 minutes.
- After the hour of cooking is complete, turn the oven off and slightly crack the oven door. Do not remove the meringue cookies, let them cool inside the oven for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and store in an airtight container, for up to seven days. Serve by themselves or with vanilla bean whipped cream.