Cheddar and Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
If you cannot find a Wisconsin Brick cheese, a neutral tasting gouda also works. The apple will quickly turn brown once grated, but this will not alter the flavor of it.
- white cheddar, sliced thin
- Wisconsin Brick, sliced thin
- green apples, grated
- thick white bread
- unsalted butter
- Take two slices of bread and place a hearty smear of mayonnaise on one side of each.
- Take one slice of bread (mayonnaise side facing down) and place a layer of cheddar or Wisconsin Brick onto the bread. Top the cheese with a generous portion of grated apple. Add another layer of each cheese on top of the apple. Top the cheese with the second slice of bread (mayonnaise side facing up).
- Heat a griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat and add a slice of butter to melt. Once melted, place the sandwich on the gridle and cook each side until golden brown (about 3-5 minutes per side).