Egg Drop Soup
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock, see recipe below or low sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- green onions, sliced
- kosher salt
- Bring the chicken stock, sesame oil and soy sauce to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Remove 2-3 tablespoons of hot stock and combine it with the cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Slowly whisk in the cornstarch slurry into the simmering liquid.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs. Drizzle the eggs evenly on top of the liquid and give it one or two gentle stirs. Place the spoon down and walk away.
- Ladle into bowls and top with green onions. Salt to taste.
for the Instant Pot Chicken Stock
- Place 3 pounds of chicken, 1 onion (peeled and halved) and 8 cups of water into the Instant Pot insert. Seal and cook over high pressure for 45 minutes. Release pressure naturally until all pressure is gone, about 1 hour. Through a sieve, pour the hot liquid into a large bowl. Let the stock cool. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to use. The stock can stay in the fridge for 3 days or up to 4 months in the freezer. Click here for the recipe.
The egg to stock ratio is 2 eggs for every 4 cups. Get creative with the flavoring added to the stock, sometimes I add fresh ginger or miso. The soup will need to be salted if using the Instant Pot Homemade Chicken Stock listed below. I add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the finished soup.